Saturday, September 7, 2013

Nexus 5 Coming Soon!


The Google Nexus 5 is expected to be released soon and has lately been leaking more and more details. This is the phone I have been waiting on and most likely will be switching to. With my Nexus 7 and now new Nexus 7 I have fallen in love with stock Android. Actually, on my GS3 I run a custom rom based on stock Android. I'm sick of manufactures messing with Android adding their skins, bloat apps, and carrier bloat apps. I want Android as Google made it, as they are making it! Nexus devices get Android updates first and fastest.

Nexus 5 Photoshop Render


With the announcement of Android 4.4 KitKat, video footage of a Google employee holding a new phone was leaked. Since then various renders based on the video have been released as well as what is believed to be a specs list from the FCC and Bluetooth SIG filings. I really like what many are saying looks like a Nexus 7 mini. I love the design of the Nexus 7 and would love a matching Nexus phone. 

The only details given are for screen and processor. The rumored Nexus 5 (code name D820) will have a 4.96 inch screen and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor. It was speculated that the new Nexus would have a S600 to keep the price down, but the 800 chip allows for many more LTE bands. As a result it has LTE support for AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint. Verizon isn't listed, this could be from technical differences with their network or just typical Verizon doing things their way and dragging their feet. 

I'm excited to see the S800 chip! I've heard good things about it including good battery life. This helps since I heard the battery will be 2700 Mah which is smaller than I wanted to see with Motorola squeezing huge batteries in normal sized phones. Hopefully the S800 chip and improvements in battery performance in KitKat Android 4.4 will make good use of the provided battery and get us well through a day. 

With the recent $100 drop in price that cleared the inventory for the Nexus 4 (8GB only) and these leaked details along with the announcement of the next big Android update, version 4.4 KitKat the Nexus 5 announcement and release cant be far off. It is likely that the Nexus 10 tablet will come along with it. Hopefully the price range will stay within $300-$400 for the N5. Which is likely following the Nexus family history of being budget price, high quality, unattached devices. 





No comments:

Post a Comment