Thursday, July 28, 2011

Google TV Price Cut.... Finally Ready to Reach the Masses


I was just having a conversation with my sister and some friends regarding Google TV, Roku Box (just bought one not at all impressed, headed back to Best Buy), Apple TV and other web connected media options for the TV yesterday and was stating that I am waiting for Google TV to come down in price.... Well today it looks like the powers-that-be finally see that they've milked the early adopters all they can and to get mass adoption they are going to start to have to hit the $100 zone (and below) with their products. Logitech has decided to slash the price of their Google TV setup (the one I've been eyeballing) from $250 to $100! This combined with upcoming updates which bring the previously tablet-centric Android 3.2 Honeycomb (Hopefully 3.2 and not 3.1 or older) OS to the Google TV boxes. This update should allow the boxes access to the app market and many other upgrades in addition to their multitude of online media streaming capabilities.

The way I like to look at this is kinda like having a tablet hooked up to my TV.  Allowing me access not only to viewing content but a browser and tons of games, which should also be playable with a controller via updates to Honeycomb that support external controllers.  First thing I'll be doing is slapping on an emulator app and playing Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 emulators on the big screen.  This added functionality puts Google TV out ahead of its competitors in my opinion along with the ability to access basically any web content not just content from an integrated store.

At 99 bucks this places not only into the consideration of the masses but it starts to make it feasible to have multiple Google TV boxes in multiple rooms. Especially since if I drop my cable I could easily buy a few of these a month!  My quest to free myself of cable just started looking a little better. Who else is ready to take the plunge on a shiny new Google TV whenever the price cut goes into effect? Hopefully this opens the flood gates for low priced Google TV options.

.... Oh yeah and Logitech, I swear it better still come with the keyboard!

(Early) Video walk through from Andronica


MORE ON GOOGLE TV

Logitech Revue Googe TV

Source: Android Central

No comments:

Post a Comment